Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sweet Chocolate Braided Bread



The first time I saw this bread I almost fell out of my chair. I knew I was going to try and make it. This came from The Prepared Pantry.   To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


This sweet chocolate bread is made with chocolate and filled with chocolate and creamed cheese then topped with chocolate and cream cheese. I've got a cream cheese thing goin on here don't I!! LOL!! You couldn't tell that with my last couple of posts could you! Leave it to me to beat something to death. This is made with yeast. The dough came together rather easily with my K A mixer.

Picture 298

It wasn't a soft dough like I'm use to but it didn't turn out to bad. After the dough rose up I divided it into 3 equal portions ( or what looked like equal to me) and started rolling out the portions one at a time and then filling them with the chocolate cream cheese filling.


Picture 302

After each portion was rolled out I braided them together. This is the part I have to work on, I kept thinking this would be easy but no it wasn't. I have no problem braiding hair but this threw me for a loop!!


Picture 306

I think I should have rolled the ropes a little tighter and thinner, I think it would have been easier if they weren't so FAT! It was kinda hard though with the filling being inside the rolls. I let this rise for an hour and baked it.




It was a very good learning experience though and I've got Chocolate Bread to boot!!





Sweet Chocolate Braided Bread Recipe
The Prepared Pantry


This recipe can be doubled.
Ingredients

3 to 3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 packet instant active dry yeast
3/4 cup water, heated to 110 degrees
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg at room temperature


For the filling
5 ounces cream cheese
1 ounce semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg


Chocolate glaze directions follows.

Directions
1. Mix about one cup of the flour, the yeast, and the heated water until smooth. This will hydrate the instant yeast. If you are using other than instant yeast, hydrate the yeast separately.

2. Add the brown sugar, cocoa, butter, salt, and egg and mix. Add enough of the remaining bread flour to make a soft but not tacky dough. Knead until the gluten is developed, about four minutes with a stand-type mixer at medium speed. Set the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let it stand until doubled, about one hour.

3. To make the filling, beat the cream cheese until soft and smooth. Add the melted chocolate while it is still hot and mix until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, egg yolk, vanilla, and nutmeg and mix until smooth.

4. Once the dough has risen, use a knife to divide the dough into three equal pieces. Roll the dough pieces with a rolling pin to rectangles 15 inches by 5 inches. Spread one-third of the filling down the center of each leaving a one-inch border with no filling. Roll the rectangle into fifteen-inch long ropes with the filling inside. Pinch any seams together and roll the ropes with your hands on the counter until smooth.

5. Braid the three ropes as if you were braiding pigtails. (Some people find it easier to create a symmetrical shape if they start braiding from the center.) When you get to the ends, wet them, pinch them together, and tuck them under. You should have a neat, symmetrical loaf when you are through. You can shape the loaf somewhat with your hands. If you don't like how the loaf looks, simply pull the braids apart and start again. Prepare a large baking sheet by greasing it and sprinkling it with cornmeal. Place the loaf on the pan, cover the loaf, and let it rise until doubled, about one hour.

6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 20 minutes then cover the bread with a large sheet of aluminum foil and bake for another ten to fifteen minutes to until done. The bread should “thump” when tapped on the bottom and the interior of the loaf should register 190 degrees with an insta-read thermometer. Let the bread cool on a wire rack.

7. While the bread is cooling, make the glaze. With a hand-held mixer, beat one ounce cream cheese with one teaspoon vanilla. Add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa with enough warm water to make a glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle the chocolate glaze generously over the bread.

9 comments:

Carol said...

Holy Moses Bunny!!!!! This looks AMAZING! I don't think you have to work on anything with the braiding-it looks a whole lot better than I'd do!
Chocolate, cream cheese and yeast.....how the heck can you go wrong there???????? :)

Dragon said...

The chocolate glaze makes this braid almost too sinful to eat. Almost. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think it gets much better than chocolate bread! Wow!

Marie Rayner said...

oh gosh that sounds sooooo good! I wonder if I could do the dough part in my breadmaker??? I am hopeless at making bread dough! This looks truly amazing!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks so cute! I love cream cheese. It's a bad vice of mine.

grace said...

chocolate bread, what a notion! the only thing better than chocolate is more chocolate, so i'm loving this. and your braid is perfect. :)

Anonymous said...

good grief just shoot me!!! I could eat my way from one end to the other

jenniferhoiyin said...

whoa that's awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Never go wrong with chocolate anything. This looks fantastic!. Prepared Pantry has lots of great recipes. Great Job.