Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Glazed Lemon Ricotta Cake


 photo DSC01407-2_zps74524dc8.jpg

I've never baked with ricotta cheese...I don't know what took me so long to try it in my baking.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
The picture of this cake on The Daily Loaf was just the incentive I needed to try it.
I haven't made a cake this moist in a long time. It is absolutely delicious and was a huge hit at our family dinner last week. It's light, lemony and OH so moist! My brother wants me to make one just for him.
Since this was my first time using ricotta cheese, I followed the recipe exactly. After tasting this, there's absolutely nothing that I would change...it's perfect as is. The Lemon Glaze did give me a little bit of a fit though-the lemon juice wasn't enough liquid with the powdered sugar to make a glaze, so I just added 1 more tablespoon of lemon juice and a little water until it was the consistency that I wanted.

Photobucket

I would be very curious to see what this cake would be like with blueberries or raspberries folded into the batter....

Photobucket
Stop at the store on your way home from work and get some ricotta....your gonna love what it does to a cake.

Wanna print just the recipe, click here!

Lemon Glazed Ricotta Cake
Ricotta Cake:
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
15 ounces whole milk ricotta
1 ½ cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Zest and Juice of 1 large lemon
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Lemon Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a Bundt cake pan and set aside.
In a large mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until well combined. Add the ricotta and blend until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in the eggs one at a time, incorporating well. Add the vanilla, lemon juice/zest and mix until fully combined.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients in 2 increments, mixing just until incorporated. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth our as needed. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle the lemon glaze over the top of the cake and serve.

32 comments:

the country cook said...

You guys have outdone yourselves! The cookies sound amazing, that cake looks incredible, and I have no words for the frosting on the cupcakes...what a great bunch of recipes!
- www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Barbara Bakes said...

It all looks scrumptious! I can't wait to try the lemon glazed ricotta cake.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Carol your blog is sugar heaven with this post! Holy cow I want to make those chocolate cookies.

Laura

Unknown said...

Bags are packed and I am ready to move once you give me directions. EVERYTHING is to die for. Can I live in your Kitchen? I won't take up a lot of space I promise

Joanne said...

This post is like a smorgasboard of heaven! From those chili-infused cookies to that ricotta cake...and of course the kahlua cupcakes of heaven. I'm in awe!

Melissa said...

I love Kahlua...LOVE it. The lemon ricotta cake looks delicious-moist and tender.

Monica H said...

Oh man! Everytime I come over here I leave drooling. This post is no exception. I don't know if I want that cake or the cookies or the cupcakes first. Can't a girl get all three on a plate for a taste tesing?!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Oh my goodness Bunny, you're killing me. I want them ALL!!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm lovin the looks of the ricotta cake!

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

grace said...

oh, that cake is sooo tender! and right now, i can't think of two things i'd rather see together than kahlua and buttercream. :)

pigpigscorner said...

I've always wanted to try spicy chocolate combo! Everything looks wonderful!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Bunny, I will be your bestest friend EVAH if you send me some of that cake! Oh, my goodness, I KNOW exactly how amazing ricotta cheese is (love it!!) so I'm not surprised at all. I will promptly be giving this a try.

Ladies the other desserts look lovely but ricotta anything (& citrus!) just floats my boat. :)
~ingrid

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I have a very large container of Ricotta cheese in the fridge and I've been wondering what I should do with the rest after my lasagna! You have such a wonderful suggestion with the Lemon glazed Ricotta Cake! I can't wait to try it. I am drawn to the Kahlua Buttercream frosted cupcakes as well... they look rich!

misss_e said...

Oooo the cake and cookies look DELISH! I love it when you post!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I will take one of each (or maybe two).

Ricotta is wonderful in cake because of the sweetness and the texture. Italian ricotta cheesecakes are a really nice, sweet switch from traditional cream cheese cakes if you're starting to feel more adventurous now about cooking with your ricotta.

I love kahlua too. There aren't too many desserts it can't improve upon.

Cyndy said...

Wizzy, would ya mind being paid in cookies? LOL

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I'd love any of these special treats ladies, but if given a choice I'd head straight for the lemon cake. Lemon is my chocolate!

Katy ~ said...

I wouldn't know where to start or which to choose first because all of these look so good that I would have to try them all, and then go back for seconds, I am sure of it!

I am intrigued with the spicy hot chocolate cookies. Ooooh, the citrusy flavor of that ricotta cake, all moist and sweet, and those cupcakes...YUM YUM YUM

You ladies are very bad to me, smiles. You show me all these goodies and now I MUST make them.

Dragon said...

Everything looks amazing but those Chocolate brownie cookies are gonna send me over the edge!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh, everything looks so good Bunny, I don't know what to dig into first!! yummo!!

Velva said...

Another fabulous spread of wonderfully prepared food. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

WOW! You guys are on the dessertspotting.com webpage for those spicey hot chocolate cookies! Way to go!! Those chocolate cupcakes look good enough to eat right off the monitor...YUM

giz said...

That lemon glazed ricotta cake is calling my name. I love it.

Lila said...

Those cupcakes look so dang good. I love buttercream frosting!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Amy said...

I appreciate your PO very much the picture with the article. Continues to refuel!!

Patti at Worth The Whisk said...

Bunny, THANKS for including my blog's Kahlua Chocolate Cupcakes recipe. That was the result of more than five years of doing PR for the Kahlua company, talk about a YUMMY JOB. Hope you will visit again!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this cake. I just made it and it is so good. Thanks for sharing!

Bunny said...

Rocio I'm so happy you made it! I keep telling people how wonderful it is to bake with ricotta! Thank you for coming back and telling me!

mommy on a mission said...

I tried ricotta cake it was great
best recipes home made mommy on a mission.blogspot.com

AnneMarie said...

Just made the lemon ricotta cake and it was indescribably delicious! But I was swimming in glaze. LOL Did I read the recipe right....2 cups of powdered sugar for the glaze? Do you put it on the cake while still warm or let it cool first? But I think I will cut the glaze amount in half next time. Yum.

Bunny said...

AnneMarie i put the glaze on while it was warm which make it sink into the cake. You can certainly cut the glaze in 1/2 if thats what you prefer. I'm so happy you made it and loved it! Thanks for coming back and telling me!

Bunny said...

mommy on a mission, thanks for coming back to tell me you made and loved the cake!