Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Barb's Apple Dumplings


Is there anything better than a warm Homemade Apple Dumpling?  Not today there isn't.
To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.

Before I came to Kentucky I was management in a family style restaurant in the town I lived in.  I worked 5 days a week. During the Fall I would take one of my days off and go to the restaurant and make triple batches of these apple dumplings.  My customers would ask me what day I was going to make them, the next question was always...when will they be done?  They would come in just before they were ready to come out of the oven, have dinner and a warm apple dumpling with a little milk on it for dessert. 





These are the only apple dumplings I've ever made, they're so good, I've never looked for another recipe.  The crust is so very soft, the sauce that's poured over the dumplings before baking and then after it's baked, is just delicious.  Everything about this is pretty much perfect as far as we're concerned.
The very first thing we're going to do is get the sauce made that's poured over the dumplings, it needs to cool before it's poured.  Get your sauce ingredients together, heat on the stove until the butter melts, then I let it come to a boil a minute or two to thicken it a bit.  A note about the amount of cinnamon in the sauce...I always use more, more as in  1 teaspoon instead of 1/8 teaspoon.  I like my apples with some cinnamon!

Making the dough:
Measure the shortening out and put it into the freezer until you have the rest of the dry ingredients together.  It'll be easier to cut into the flour when it's very cold.   Cut the shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, then add the milk to the mix all at once. 
Mix the dough with a fork just until it forms a ball.  The dough will be very soft.
Flour your board, you can roll the dough out into one big piece and cut individual patches for the apples to sit on , I take the dough and divide it into 6 equal potions and roll them out individually.  Place your peeled and cored apple in the center of the dough.  Put enough butter into the hole of the apple to fill it.  

Sprinkle sugar ( be generous)  over the apple, then sprinkle cinnamon on top.  I've never measured the sugar or cinnamon out, I just sprinkle.




Wrap the dough around the apple until it's completely covered and looks like a ball.   I take it in my hands like a ball and mold it and seal any opening, the dough is very easy to work with.  Check the bottom and top of the apple to make sure there is enough dough at those points so none of the butter , sugar and cinnamon can leak out.  




I decorated the dumplings with the scrapes of dough that were left by making leaves and a stem for the apples.



Put your dumplings in a 13x9 inch pan and space them about an inch apart.  Pour the sauce over each of the apples.
.  
Sprinkle the apples with sugar and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
In our house we eat the dumplings warm with a little milk poured over them or with  a scoop of ice cream.  The apples. the sauce, the dough, the cinnamon...it's so GOOD!!  I hope you love these as much as we do!


To Print The Recipe , Click Here.




Barb's Apple Dumplings

Sauce

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/8 tsp cinnamon ( I use about 1 tsp)
1/8 tsp nutmeg ( I don't use)
2 Tbls butter or margarine

Directions

Place the sugar, water, cinnamon and nutmeg into a small saucepan.  Bring to boiling point.  Add butter and stir until melted.  Remove from heat and set aside.  ( I put All the sauce ingredients together in the pan, including the butter.  When it comes to a boil, I let it boil a minute or two to thicken a little bit.)

Dough

Ingredients
2 cups enriched flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening ( I used Crisco cold)
1/2 cup mlik
6 small Macintosh Apples about 3 inches in diameter ( I used Gala) Peeled and cored. 

Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.  Cut the shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry blender.  Add milk all at once.  Stir with a fork until the dough just forms a ball.  Place in the refrigerator until you have peeled and cored the apples.

Peel and core apples.  You can cut them in half or leave them whole. I leave them whole. You can keep the apples from turning brown by placing them in cold water while you work.

Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface long enough to fit 6 apples on it.  Cut the dough into six squares. ( I divide the dough in to six equal portions and roll them out individually.)  

 Place the apples on a dough square, fill the center with butter, sprinkle sugar over top then sprinkle cinnamon over top.  

Mold the dough around the apple, making sure there are no opening for the filling to escape from.  Place the apples in a 13x9 inch baking pan. Spacing them about an inch apart.  Pour the sauce over the dumplings , then sprinkle with sugar.  Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.  Spoon the sauce on the bottom of the pan over the apple dumplings after they come out of the oven. 





55 comments:

Lillian (My Recipe Journey) said...

OMG! I need to make these gorgeous little cuties! Can I use butter instead of shortening? I pinned this! =D

Anonymous said...

can you tell me what shortening is

Bunny said...

Lillian, I wouldn't use butter, I'd stick with he shortening. I've never made them with butter and I wouldn't want you to try and have it not work!

Anonymous....I used Crisco shortening...it's a vegetable shortening. Here's a link to show you what shortening is...http://www.crisco.com/Products/Category.aspx?GroupID=17

vishnu manohar the chef said...

Butter is v good option ...go ahed happycooking

Anonymous said...

Do you know of a vanilla sauce recipe.... like K-mart used to put over them?

Bunny said...

Vishnu manohar the chef thanks for helping Lillian Chef!

Bunny said...

Anonymous, I found a Vanilla Sauce that went with another dumpling recipe, here it is....

Vanilla Sauce (see note)
about 1¼ cups

1 tablespoon flour
1 to 2 tablespoon(s) sugar or the equivalent of 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar in granulated sugar substitute
1 cup light cream or half-and-half (see note)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine (see note)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (see note)

In a small heavy saucepan, combine flour and sugar. Gradually add cream, blending well. Add butter. Cook, stirring constantly, over moderate heat until sauce is bubbly hot. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled over Easy Baked Fudge Pudding or other desired dessert. Store, sealed, in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Note: May substitute a commercial Vanilla Sauce, if desired.

Note: May substitute milk or reduced-fat or skim milk for cream. May also omit butter or margarine, if desired. Flavor will not be as rich.

Note: Use pure vanilla extract rather than artificial vanilla flavoring.

Rose said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. It's apple season here in Maine & I can't wait to try your recipe! You are just so helpful to people posting comments. Keep up the good work!

Bunny said...

Thank you Rose for visiting! I hope you come often!

Joan E said...

I had no shortening except butter and they turned out fine, thanks for posting such detailed instructions, made all the difference between "afraid to fail" and "courage to try". They were awesome!!

Bunny said...

Joan thank you so much for coming and telling me you made them! You have no idea how much I enjoy hearing you made them and loved them! You are a sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Could you add chopped walnuts to the filling?

rema ramadas said...

thank u sooo much for the recipes luks heavenly .I will defenitely try. thank u soo much.

Bunny said...

Anonymous, YES you could put nuts in with the butter, sugar and cinnamon. I'd crush them though they'll go in better that way.

Bunny said...

Rema, thank you so much for stopping by! Hope you love them as much as we do!

Anonymous said...

I like to use lard instead of shortening, do you think that would work? Also, do you think I could make these three night before and keep them in the fridge? Thanks much, this looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I like to use lard instead of shortening, do you think that would work? Also, do you think I could make these three night before and keep them in the fridge? Thanks much, this looks wonderful.

Bunny said...

Anonymous, lard would be fine for a sub for the shortening.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous recipe, thank you for sharing.

When I make baked apple I add Cinnamon Hots candy pieces. When I made this recipe I added them in the center of the apples as well as in the sauce. When the sauce is poured over the pastry it looks like a red apple - so pretty!

Unknown said...

where do you buy the leaf cookie cutter?

Terri said...

I pinned this recipe too. Yours look awesome! I have to get a few ingredients and then I am going to try my luck at them this week.

dearcat said...

Dear Bunny. I too am from Maine and will make definitely make these. I probably will use Courtlands. I am 77 and still cooking baking strong. My neighbors in the Senior Citizen's housing where I live appreciate it.

dearcat from Maine

Liz said...

My mother used to put almond paste in the center of the apple. It is also very good! Almond paste comes in a small can, usually located in the baking aisle. Thanks for reminding me of this recipe - I'll be making it very soon.

Rachel Ruysch said...

These are so good. I used apple cider instead of water in the sauce and reduced sugar. Delish! Thank u for wonderful " how to " photos.

Unknown said...

What an inspiration. I need to try this ASAP :)

Anonymous said...

These look terrific! Great tutorial on making them. I just bought some apples yesterday and I'm going to make some of these tonight for dessert.

Bunny said...

Margaret, I got the leaf cutters at Williams and Sonoma online. Here's the link......http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/2113496/?catalogId=51&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Bakeware&cm_pla=Baking_&_Pastry_Tools

Bunny said...

Great Terri! Let me know how it goes for you!

Bunny said...

dearcat good for you! I hope I'm still baking and going strong at 77!! God Bless YOU!!

Bunny said...

Liz, fantastic idea! Almond paste would be wonderful!

Bunny said...

Rachel Ruysch, apple cider instead of water!!! You're a genius, good grief I bet that added TONS of flavor! Fantastic!! I'll be trying that one too!

Bunny said...

Iman, I hope you come back and let me know how you did! Thanks for stopping by!

Bunny said...

Thank you Anonymous! I hope you love them as much as we do!!

Unknown said...

WOW this one great inovative recipe that I have ever seen. Next on the list to try and add to my autumn goodies.
One little comment on shortening: I think its poison and you shouldnt be eating it. I use half butter and half organic pig lard :) it makes perfect pie crust.

Anonymous said...

These are so fantastic! A bit time consuming but well worth it. Thank you for sharing the recipe! My family said it was like I made 6 little pieces of heaven ;)

Bunny said...

Katja,thank you fro stopping by , I hope you get to make them soon! Yes we don't use shortening often, butter is the word in this house! LOL!!

Bunny said...

Anonymous, yes they are wonderful! My husband requests them in the summer he loves them so much! Thank you for stopping by and telling me you made them !

Roseann said...

I made these last week they were so good, making them again to take to our friends!!!

Bunny said...

Roseann, I'm so happy you made them and loved them!

Lillian (My Recipe Journey) said...

YUM....this was very good! I used store bought pie dough sheets. The dough didn't get cooked through like an apple pie. It stayed very wet, but was still so delicious! I used brown sugar instead of white and I stuffed the inside of the apples with caramel candy! My whole family loved this! I'll be blogging about it on Wed with a link back to this page! Thanks for this yummy dessert recipe!

Bunny said...

Lillian, Caramels in the apples!!! THAT sounds wonderful!!! Now I have to make them that way! Thanks for coming back to let me know!!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I made these couple weeks ago (6pieces of heaven ;) and I'd love to make a bunch for the Thanksgiving crowd. Have you or anyone else ever made them a day before they went in the oven? Cooking for 20+ so sure could use the input if they would be ok and any tips to keep the apples fresh? Thanks SO much!!
Debbie from wisconsin

Bunny said...

Anonymous, I've never made the dough ahead of time. You probably could and keep it in the fridge wrapped in plastic. You might beable to keep apples fresh by tossing them in lemon juice and putting those in the fridge too.

Megan G said...

Hi there! MY family and I simply LOVE these! I my father practically licks the pan. But I have a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. Ever time I make them my shell falls off. They never come out complete. I have tried numerous shells, homemade and store bought. I can't find anything that works. I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Bunny said...

Megan the only time the shell ever broke for me was when I cut the apple in half instead of using a whole apple cored and peeled. I also mold the dough around the apple with my hands so it's a snug fit. I hope this helps. You might also try dicing the apples and making a little bundle with the dough as well. Thank you for trying and loving the recipe!

Michele said...

A great recipe I can't wait to try out. I love apples and cinnamon, and especially dumplings!

I came up with a related recipe for Apple Dumplings in a cinnamon sauce. While different from your own, I think mine is a unique take on the dish. I'm new to the Food Blog scene and would love some feedback from a pro like you. Check out my recipe if have time.

http://persnicketypanhandler.blogspot.com/2013/10/apple-dumpling-with-cinnamon-sauce.html

Bunny said...

Michele I just stopped by and they look terrific! Im gonna look you up on FB!!

Anonymous said...

I use Braeburn apples if I can't get Northern Spy's.Braeburn's are better than most others including Mac's for baking.
This is a killer recipe. Try the recipe for Bunny's Easiest Pineapple Cake. It is absolutely the best cake in the world and almost foolproof to make . No cake mix required..Five Stars Gold Stars or whatever..

Canadian Budget Binder said...

We've actually made these but in the middle of the apple we put apple pie filling, raisins and liquor and a nob of butter. They are amazing with a premium vanilla bean ice-cream.

Bunny said...

Thank you Anonymous!! I'm so happy you made both the apple dumplings and the pineapple cake!!

Bunny said...

Thank you Mr.CBB! Your adaptions sound wonderful!!

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! These look absolutely delicious! GREAT photo! Cheers! Joanne

Bunny said...

Thank you Joanne, it was definitely a fun post to do!

Anonymous said...

Got this from Skinnytaste. Looks awesome but I don't see the nutritional info???

Bunny said...

Hi Anonymous,I've never had any nutritional info about the recipe.