Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Delicious Dutch Apple Pie




 Dutch Apple Pie is my all time favorite pie.  Homemade crust, apples , cinnamon and the crumb topping...I love the crumb topping.
To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.



Of all the delicates which Britons try
To please the palate of delight the eye,
Of all the sev'ral kings of sumptuous far,
There is none that can with applepie compare.
William King 

Good grief you have to love the genius of the first person to ever decide to take fruit, put it in a pastry crust and create pie.  There have been lots of adaptions along the way.  We have hand fried apple pies, we eat it  La mode, with a top crust..well the possibilities are endless.  This recipe for Dutch Apple Pie is absolutely wonderful.  The filling in the pie sets up nicely, if there's one thing that drives me batty its when the filling spills out and onto the pie plate.  This set up perfectly , even though I cut it when it was slightly warm.  You can save yourself some time and use a premade pie crust.  I made homemade and will include that recipe after the pie filling recipe just in case you want to try it.  It always turns out so flaky and delicious and can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge.  I've said this before and I'm saying it again.  Lemon does wonderful things to apples, it brightens their flavor just like it does for berries.  Please don't skip tossing the apples with lemon juice.  The apple filling recipe didn't have enough cinnamon in it for my taste buds so next time I'll be making this with 1 tsp cinnamon in the filling.    My husband stood in the kitchen waving the pie in the air trying to make it cool faster so he could have a slice.  LOL!!  And when he finally got a slice, it was followed by another.  You're going to love this Dutch Apple Pie!  Enjoy!




To Print The Recipe, Click Here.


Dutch Apple Pie
Food.com

Apple Filling :
Ingredients
1 of your favorite homemade pie crusts or 1 ready-made pie crust
5 1/2 cups peeled cored sliced cooking apples ( I used Gala Apples)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon ( next time I'll use 1 tsp cinnamon)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Topping:
Ingredients
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, room temperature ( I used butter)
Directions
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Fit pie crust into pie plate.
In a large bowl, mix sliced apples, lemon juice, both sugars,flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Pile into crust.
Prepare topping:.
In a medium bowl, with a pastry blender or a fork, mix flour, both sugars, and butter until coarsely crumbled.
Sprinkle evenly over apples.
Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.

Buttery Flaky Pie Crust Recipe
Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter ( put the butter in the freezer long enough to get very cold, then grate it , return it to the freezer til your ready to use it.  It incorporates into the flour faster and more evenly grated)
1/4 cup very cold water ( you can also put this in the freezer til it has ice crystals on it)
 
Directions:
I have mixed the flour and salt in a bowl and put it in the freezer as well.  Having all the ingredients very cold is the key to making this butter crust. 

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
 I've never waited 4 hours for it to refrigerate, 2 hours is the longest refrigeration time I've ever given the dough before using it the same day.  I have made it and placed it in the fridge overnight to use the next day..
Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.

27 comments:

sonia said...

Yum!

Bunny said...

Sonia thanks for stopping by , I hope you get to make it, its really wonderful!

Swamee said...

Thanks for telling us what type of apples you used, most do not and we are scratching our heads when picking out the right apples... sounds yummy....

Lynn said...

If I use a frozen pie crust, should it be fully defrosted before using?

Bunny said...

Lynn, yes your frozen pie crust should be completely thawed out before making the pie.

Bunny said...

Joanne, your welcome!

Lynn said...

Just made this yesterday and all I can say is O.M.G!! This is the most incredible (and quite EASY) apple pie I've ever had! I did use a frozen crust but let it sit out for about 15 minutes before filling it. I also had some extra topping, so next time I'm thinking of using 1/2 cup of flour instead of 3/4. I used Granny Smith apples for mine. Since I used a frozen crust in the flimsy metal pan, I placed the pan on top of a cookie sheet for stability. Also, around 40 minutes, my apples were still a bit hard but the crust was dark enough, so I placed foil over top and cooked it for another 15 minutes. PERFECT!!! Can't WAIT to make this again. Oh - I'm also planning on making this for Thanksgiving at my in-laws!

Bunny said...

Lynn thank you so much for coming back and telling me you made it! I love that! There won't be any left over on Thanksgiving, better get a big slice!! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

In the oven as we speak! Smells awesome....can't wait to try it with vanilla ice cream.YUM!!!

Bunny said...

Anonymous, I hope you come back and tell me you loved it! I'm drooling here thinking about vanilla ice cream and Dutch Apple Pie!

Anonymous said...

Can you freeze this instead of baking it right away?

Bunny said...

Anonymous, here's a link that says YOU CAN freeze an apple crumb pie before you bake it. Check it out !
http://www.anoregoncottage.com/crumb-topped-apple-pie-bake-or-freeze/ Copy the link and paste in your search engine.

Anonymous said...

I baked mine at 375 for twenty-five minutes before adding the topping and then baked it for another forty minutes. It came out prefect! Thanks for the recipe!

Bunny said...

Anonymous, thank you for stopping by and telling me you made the pie and loved it!

Anonymous said...

Tried to make this pie today. First time ever making apple pie so I was excited as its my husbands favorite. Followed recipe to a tee. However the middle was watery. Not sure what I did wrong. My husband said it had great flavor but I consider the soup in the pie pan a fail. Any suggestions how to fix that? I would like to get it right.

Bunny said...

Anonymous, the only thing I can think of is to ask what kind of apple did you use? Not all apples are suited to bake with. Some bake down to almost mush. Using a baking apple might give you better results. Copy and paste this link from the Farmers Almanac on apples and how to use the different varieties. http://www.almanac.com/content/best-apples-baking Check the comment section as well. Your pie was not a failure, it was your first attempt and you did a wonderful job! Baking is a learning process and you are off to a fantastic start by making your first pie!

Anonymous said...

Attempting to make this pie now. Because my hubbie loves apple pie. Hoping it turns out okay!

Bunny said...

Anonymous, It's a wonderful pie! Let me know how it goes for you!

Unknown said...

I will never, EVER buy store bought Dutch apple pie again. I've made this two times in as many days. (And once about a month ago.) It was demolished at my Super Bowl party. I use my go-to pie crust and top it with homemade caramel sauce. It's like angels singing in my mouth. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Bunny said...

Susan I'm so happy you made this and loved it as much as I do!! Thank you for coming back to tell me!

Amelia Poll said...

I'm late to the party, but I have the pie crust in the fridge setting up right now. I will be cutting the apples shortly. This is the first, ever, pie that I've made. But it just looks so delicious, and I'm having a serious craving for some Dutch Apple Pie :)

Bunny said...

Amelia Please come back and tell me of your experience, I would love to know how you're first ever pie went!! Good luck!!

Morgan said...

I just found this and it looks so good. I'm making it on friday for a birthday dessert for the boyfriend who adooores apple pie. no cakes just pie. Excited to see how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to make this friday. My boyfriend doesn't like cake but loves apple pie. This will replace his birthday cake.

Naimah said...

Hi Bunny! I just want you to know that this recipe is delicious! I tried it and wrote about my experience on my blog, In My Momma's Kitchen. I linked to this post so my fans could view the entire recipe here. :) Thanks SO much for sharing such a delicious dessert!

http://inmymommaskitchen.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/mommas-favorite-dutch-apple-pie-a-sweet-mothers-day-dessert-recipe/

Bunny said...

Naimah I visited you and saw you gorgeous pie! Thank you so much for coming back to tell me you made it and loved it. You really made my day!

Unknown said...

I'm making this recipe for a friend's birthday this weekend... It is in the oven now and smells amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!